Wednesday, September 18, 2024

35 - Tende- Nest - Friday, 28 February 2003

No. 35 
Tende- Nest 
Friday, 28 February 2003 

Dear Amare-Amuri, 

13. "A bird will always return to its nest." 

    - Explanation: This proverb signifies the idea of returning to one's roots or origins. It reflects the natural tendency to seek out familiar and comforting places. It also suggests that no matter where one goes, there is always a pull towards one's home or origins. This can be related to personal values and cultural identity.  

I am a Sira. I am a Nyangaga. I am Nyangweso. I am Dhuluo. But most of all I am my grandfather’s granddaughter. I love the country of my biological grandfather dearly and I am happy to be related to my grandfather because he was a wise and caring individual that loved his family. Of course he had his shortcomings, but he cared for his wives and family members with dignity, love, care, and pride. He never let anyone interfere with the unity of his family and the clan. I admire him for that. Now his fourth born son, my biological father Oanez, is the head of the Sira clan and he is leading the clan into a great legacy.  

His first action upon taking the headship of the clam was to abolish the children of his myriad of siblings taking the first names of their fathers as their last names. He instead enforced the rule that everyone had to have the same last name. His sisters had to follow this rule when they married their husbands as well. It was a wise choice! I do not know if my family agrees with this decision. But I love it!  

It emphasizes the importance of maintaining connections with one's background and heritage. 

My father Oanez maintains connections with his heritage and background by still speaking two of his native languages (Dhuluo and Swahili) and communicating daily in a third (Swahili) whilst understanding two more (Gikuyu and Kamba). I understand Kiswahili but I do not speak it. At all. I won’t blame anyone. But I just do not speak it. I will leave it at that.  

My father learned Dhuluo from his mother as that was the language she spoke. He learned Swahili growing up. Gikuyu, I have no idea where he learned that. And Kamba he learned through school. So, he speaks four languages fluently.  

His second life partner my mother Azelice speaks only one English.  

    - Action Step: Reflect on your roots or origins and consider how they influence your current life. Engage in activities or traditions that connect you with your background. 

My roots greatly influence my current life. My clan is everything to me. I listen to musick that inspires me sometimes in Kiswahili. I love musick sung in Dhuluo. I love the history. The language. The food. I wish I could live there. But I alas I cannot. But I will make my grandfather proud of me!  

All my love, 
Mama 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

60 - Katika- At - Friday, 28 February 2003

No. 60   Katika- At   Friday, 28 February 2003   Dear Amare-Amuri,    At no point in time   Did I ever not love   To sing praises to God   A...